Friday, January 6, 2012

The Goal

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Different homeschool families have different reasons and goals for schooling their children at home. Initially when I started homeschooling my oldest son two years ago, my whole purpose was to keep him out of the public high school. There was not a good affordable option for Christian school and I was very worried about the wordly influence on him. At that time he was struggling with his grades, I believe a lot of that was due to a poor public school education in his younger years (kindergarten through 6th grade). I also knew that I wanted to homeschool my younger two boys when they reached the school age and I started to focus my thinking on the 'goal'. Originally I felt the importance was on excellent academics (getting ahead and achieving the most) and Godly influence. Then I began to wonder what my purpose in life was which led to my asking God to reveal His purpose in my life. One day the light bulb turned on and suddenly I knew the answer! My current purpose in life is to raise Godly sons. God has blessed me with three wonderful, precious, intelligent boys. He has entrusted them to me... me, not someone else. But me.
When this realization hit, I really started to think differently about what my main focus at home is all about. I went from reading a wide range of books, educational, Bible stories, fun books, etc... to really emphasizing on Bible stories, Godly charactar, reading from the Bible, worship time, etc. I still work on normal preschool/kindergarten things with my four year old, however that is not my focus. I realize now more than ever that I need to help my boys learn how to have a relationship with God, how to trust Him and more importantly how to pray. I also need to be an example for them! They are looking to me all day and I am the one setting the example of Godly character (or not). That in itself is very humbling.
There is a scripture verse that has impacted my heart, and I believe it fits well here.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.



1 comment: